Financial difficulties

We appreciate that your circumstances may change and you may experience temporary financial difficulties. If this is the case, please call us on 01228 595939.

It is important if you find yourself in financial difficulties you let us know as soon as possible. We will be sympathetic and positive and we will do all we can to help you overcome your difficulties.

The sooner we discuss your problems, the easier it will be to find a solution. The more you tell us about your full financial circumstances, the more we may be able to help.

Dealing with debt

Practical steps you can take to help resolve your debt problems

Be honest with yourself
Acknowledge the problem
Don’t ignore post from people whom you owe money to
Contact us
If you think you might be getting into financial difficulties
Let us know and ask how we can help
Draw up a budget
Make a list of all your debts and prepare a statement of your financial position
Detailing your income and expenditure and how much you owe
Maximise your income
Decide on your priority financial commitments and maximise your income
Cut down on non-essential spending and claim any benefits or tax relief for which you may be eligible
Make us an offer
Check your budget to see what you can afford
If we accept your offer, make sure you stick to it
Review your circumstances
Assess your ongoing financial position regularly
Keep us posted of any changes
Contact a specialist
There are expert money advisers who can give you help
Support and advice is available to help you deal with your circumstances
Contact all creditors
So that they are aware of the situation
A free money advice service should be able to help you agree repayment plans with creditors
Download our full guidance leaflet
More guidance is available

More help is available

You may want to talk to your family, friends or support agencies who may be able to help. Many people find it helpful to get advice from a specialist debt counsellor (usually called a money adviser). You can get free, independent money advice from any of the following: